Wednesday, July 13, 2011

The Cookie That Drove Me to Tears

There I stood gazing out of a window from the thirty-eight floor of one of the tallest, most beautiful buildings in the Windy City. Below me were hundreds, no, thousands of strangers, many of whom I would never meet. Beside me were a handful of law students with whom I had just become acquainted. In my right hand was a cookie, a delicious, half-eaten M&M's® cookie. It was the first one that I can remember eating in well over a month. I stared down at the cookie happily, fully understanding all that it symbolized, and burst into tears‼

My recent trip to Chicago was more than another networking adventure or a business trip. It more accurately represented a glimpse of my future reality - a reality, that before last weekend, had not been clearly visible to me. Over the course of the weekend, I was introduced to some of the most prominent lawyers, judges, and legal scholars that reside within this nation. I was able to engage in conversation with many of them during panel discussions, mentoring sessions, and unimaginably delightful meals. One meal in particular gave me the feeling that I was long-lost princess finally returning to the place that she'd be arduously searching for for so many years. Simply put, I will never ever forget the experience that I had in this particular restaurant. After tea and drinks were provided for myself and the other attendees, restaurant servers walked amongst us carrying dainty hors d'Ĺ“uvres on fancy, wooden boards. Following the starter course, our hostess welcomed us into a separate display area filled with a plethora of soups, salads, and bread selections. Later on during the meal several chefs began to circle the dining room offering various samplings of their prized creations. As a means of describing just how unique and wonderful this dining experience was, I consulted with two of the servers in order to comprise the following list: 


Fire Grilled Ribeye
Wagyu Beef
Spit Roasted Leg of Lamb
Curry Lime Red Snapper
Amaretto and Pistachio Duck Breast 
Linguica Pork Sausage
Asian Pork Belly 
Bottom Sirloin 
Moroccan Chicken 
New Zealand Venison



The aforementioned foods were the tableside samplings that were provided during the main course , along with some of the most additively yummy spinach dip and other small dishes.  I sampled each one of the meats except for the pork belly and venison. Just when I thought I couldn't possibly eat another bite, dessert was served. Charming little cheesecake squares, brownie bites and other pastries filled the center of each table. My taste buds were overwhelmed‼‼

Now, why I'm sharing this story? Well, I may not be a philanthropist at the moment, but I can definitely donate my time and a few encouraging words. Many people agree that, "Hard work pays off." Yet, there are so many others that are not willing to put in the hard work necessary to realize such a worthy payment. Education, in my opinion, is one of the best routes to success‼ The wonderful thing is that as long as there is breath in your body, then it is not too late. Ken Wilde, a Holocaust survivor, received a master's degree in history at age eighty-six. His inspiring story should do exactly what it is set out to do - inspire‼ Hopefully, my story will inspire as well. 

(It's also worth noting that I do not mind editing essays, helping with resume writing, or sharing my perspective. Whether that be tonight or years down the road, I will try my best to make time for what's important. Someone helped me, mentored me, and advised me. With each step that I take I am one step closer to doing the same thing for someone else and making a larger impact in my community. That's what it's all about‼‼‼)

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete